Requesting Public Records
For assistance, or to make requests by letter, email or phone, contact:
Link to Contact or Listed:
Public Records Officer
2720 Sumner AVE
Aberdeen, WA 98520
Telephone: (360) 538-6271
Fax: (360) 538-6350
Role of the Public Records Officer
- Oversee compliance with the Public Records Act
- Administer program consistent with district policy
- Provide the “fullest assistance” to requestors
- Coordinate response to requests with departments and offices of the District
- Provide most timely possible & efficient action on requests
- Fulfill requests without excessive interference with District business
- Protect public records from damage or disorganization
Public Records requests
Must be directed to the Public Records Officer and should include:
- Name and Email or Physical Address of Requestor;
- Date of Request;
- A Detailed Description of the Public Record(s) being requested;
- Whether the Requestor wants copies, or wants to inspect the requested records;
- The Email or Mailing Address where copies are to be mailed, if copies are requested;
- A Statement regarding whether the records are being requested for commercial purposes; and
- Signature of the Requestor
Response to Records Requests
Within five business days of receipt of the request, the Public Records Officer or designee will do one of the following:
- Notify the requestor that the records are available for inspection and copying;
- Send copies to the requestor if payment has been received;
- Acknowledge the request in writing and provide a reasonable estimate of time the District will require to respond to the request;
- Contact the requester to request clarification;
- Deny the request citing reason for denial.
Public Record Exemptions
Please be advised some records are exempt from disclosure. The Public Records Act (RCW 42.56)lists types of documents exempt from public inspection and copying. Other laws also prohibit disclosure of certain records. The Public Utility District No. 1 of Grays Harbor will NOT disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes. If only a portion of a record is exempt from disclosure, the Public Records Officer or designee will redact the exempt portions before providing the document.
Inspection and Copying
In the event the volume of responsive records are too large for emailing, the Public Records Officer will make records available for inspection and copying by appointment during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 12 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.), excluding legal holidays.
There is no fee for inspecting public records; the charge for copying 8-1/2 x 11 pages is $0.15 per black and white page, $0.25 per color page, scanning is $0.10 per page, and $1.00 per CD. A list of additional copying charges for larger volumes and sizes of records can be provided upon request.
Our mission: Serve our community with high value utility services at the lowest practical cost.
Hours of Operation: Weekdays 8:00-5:00